Sunday, July 22, 2007

Mandalas and Meditation


In the following reflections on the Yoga of the heart, which I began working on when I first went to live at Kurisumala Ashram in 1967, and also started painting a series of Christian Mandalas, try to relate the structure of the Icon to the process whereby the vertical and horizontal aspects of reality come together. I remember even before I went to Art school in London, when I was about 14 years old, and had just been baptized into the Catholic Church, I tried to make a series of symbolic sketches of Gospel scenes, placed within a kind of Mandala structure. This was particularly possible when thinking about the Gospel of St. John. The Mandala as a way of presenting narrative events is a well known method of representation in the Indian tradition.

No comments: