Monday, September 24, 2012

An English Village: Old Dalby near Melton Mowbray.


View of Dalby in the Wold (Old Dalby)

The village of Old Dalby in Leicestershire, where my old friends Eric and Chris Lott live, has been a place where I have been welcomed over the past twenty years. Here I have been able to reflect on the relation of the traditional village of the midlands to the landscape. In fact the town from which my own Mother came, and the part of England where here ancestors have been settled over generations, is not far away from this village. And so over the years I have felt very much part of this landscape, which however is very different from the landscape around my home in Karnataka, in South India. How can I find links between this landscape and the culture that it has given rise to, rooted on this soil, and my own Indian context ?

No comments: